HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Veterans (Group) » These stick figure comics...

Sat May 23, 2020, 12:21 PM

These stick figure comics will change how you see the Coast Guard

If you ask Brian Runion what he thought of his time at the Coast Guard Academy, hes not going to sugarcoat his answer.

I hated it bitterly, he told Task & Purpose. It definitely improved me as a person, but its a difficult place to be. It has a very regimented lifestyle, and when you listen to all your friends talk about having a great time in college while youre sitting in the barracks shining your shoes, its not the best time.

So its surprising that now, 14 years after graduating from the academy and nine years after leaving the service, Runion still works for the Coast Guard as a civilian. And when hes not working, hes trying to start a small revolution in how Americans, other service members, and even fellow Coasties see the countrys smallest, most-forgotten, and most-chronically-underfunded military branch.

What caused this change from disaffected cadet to tireless advocate? Turns out all it took were a few history lessons.

https://taskandpurpose.com/mandatory-fun/coast-guard-memes-claw-of-knowledge

2 replies, 1024 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply These stick figure comics will change how you see the Coast Guard (Original post)
douglas9 May 2020 OP
sarge43 May 2020 #1
captain queeg May 2020 #2

Response to douglas9 (Original post)

Sat May 23, 2020, 12:31 PM

1. The US Coast Guard's unofficial motto

"You have to go out; you don't have to come back."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to douglas9 (Original post)

Sat May 23, 2020, 12:43 PM

2. I remember meeting a coast guard guy back in the 70s when I was hitchhiking around the country.

I had a generally low opinion of the armed services back then, but I came close joining up after meeting him. He stopped at some tavern and bought me a beer and told me all about them. Hed have been a great recruiter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread