HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Veterans (Group) » Who was Roy Benavidez, th...

Thu Jun 11, 2020, 01:04 PM

Who was Roy Benavidez, the man whose name some say should replace Confederate general's at Fort Hood

The League of United Latin American Citizens has been pushing to have Fort Hood renamed in his honor.

Texas native Roy Benavidez, a member of the elite Green Berets who earned the Medal of Honor in the Vietnam War, had a storied military career that included five Purple Hearts and an astonishing rescue of eight soldiers that reads like a Hollywood movie script, a U.S. president would later say.

That's why for years members of the League of United Latin American Citizens have been pushing to have Fort Hood renamed in his honor.

The people of Texas and the nation should know the story of Benavidez, Domingo Garcia, national president of the civil rights group, said Tuesday.

“He is largely unknown beyond the Spanish community,’’ he said.

U.S. Army and Pentagon officials indicated Monday they were open to the idea of removing the names of Confederate military commanders at Army posts, including Fort Hood -- an idea long supported by LULAC and other civil rights advocates.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2020/06/09/who-was-roy-benavidez-the-man-whose-name-some-say-should-replace-confederate-generals-at-fort-hood/

8 replies, 1484 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Who was Roy Benavidez, the man whose name some say should replace Confederate general's at Fort Hood (Original post)
douglas9 Jun 2020 OP
atreides1 Jun 2020 #1
The Polack MSgt Jun 2020 #2
COL Mustard Jun 2020 #3
The Polack MSgt Jun 2020 #5
COL Mustard Jun 2020 #6
DashOneBravo Jun 2020 #4
TEB Jun 2020 #7
denbot Jun 2020 #8

Response to douglas9 (Original post)

Thu Jun 11, 2020, 01:59 PM

1. Master Sergeant Raul Perez "Roy" Benavidez (August 5, 1935 - November 29, 1998)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to The Polack MSgt (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 09:36 PM

3. I Would Never Have Wanted To Cross Him

Rename either Ft Hood (near where he was from) or Ft. Bragg (where he trained) for him. Stop naming forts for generals, especially ones who fought AGAINST the US Army.

Reply to this post

Response to COL Mustard (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 19, 2020, 11:31 AM

5. In the entire DoD there is only one base named after an enlisted soldier

CPL Frank Scott died in a traing flight - Wilbur Wright was training him and other balloon/dirigible observers on piloting the Wright Flyer.

Scott AFB is named after him

Reply to this post

Response to The Polack MSgt (Reply #5)

Sat Jun 20, 2020, 03:13 PM

6. I Did Not Know That

Thank you for sharing.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 15, 2020, 01:20 PM

4. IMO Ft. Bragg would be better

I know he’s from Texas. Wouldn’t there be a better candidate for someone who has ties to the units stationed there?

He’s well know in the Airborne and Special Operations community. He was in the 82nd and 5th Group at Ft. Bragg.

Reply to this post

Response to DashOneBravo (Reply #4)

Wed Jun 24, 2020, 03:31 AM

7. Agreed

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 12:09 AM

8. I heard of him before I signed up in 77.

Even though he was Tejano..

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread