HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » African American (Group) » America in the life

Thu May 13, 2021, 11:22 AM

America in the life

of Bill Withers. Loved his songs back in the day. And loved this article on him. He was smart. In knowing himself. He mentions Emmett Till in his reflections on his past. I was 11 when that racist travesty happened. I was living in Georgia during my summers helping out on the grandparents' farm. I remember my grandparents talking about that murder.

And lo and behold thousands maybe millions of insurrectionists and the GQP led by the ex-potus, a treasonous grifter conman want to return to these type "good old days". George Floyd, Trayvon Martin, Sandra Bland, and many, many more, all prime examples of their racist behaviors and thoughts today as they did think yesteryears. Republikkkan fascists revel in public executions such as this. Micheal Brown lay in the street uncovered for 8 hours as a warning to African Americans. Repthug fascists are trying to return Americka to the days where they want POC in their place, under their foot-knee on our necks.

Bill Withers's story just reminded me this morning of the shit white racist Americans lay on POC EVERY DAY.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/bill-withers-the-soul-man-who-walked-away?utm_source=pocket-newtab

3 replies, 448 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply America in the life (Original post)
llashram May 13 OP
abqtommy May 13 #1
llashram May 13 #2
IrishAfricanAmerican May 13 #3

Response to llashram (Original post)

Thu May 13, 2021, 01:07 PM

1. Some stories are painful but we do well to remember and work toward better days. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to abqtommy (Reply #1)

Thu May 13, 2021, 01:07 PM

2. still working

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to llashram (Original post)

Thu May 13, 2021, 01:37 PM

3. Thanks for that!

It's a great article.

Reply to this post