HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Birders (Group) » They must have been waiti...

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 10:00 AM

They must have been waiting for me this morning.

I was a little later than usual putting "breakfast" out this morning. Within 2 minutes I had a pair of Cardinals, Blue Jays, Red Bellied Woodpecker, numerous sparrows, finches and juncos along with a single Starling.

Breakfast consists of a mixture of seeds, shelled corn and peanuts that I make up and keep in a little bucket. A little something for everybody. I put it in a tray feeder and scatter on the sidewalk. I'll go out and fill all the feeders when it warms up a little bit.

5 replies, 828 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply They must have been waiting for me this morning. (Original post)
Arkansas Granny Dec 2020 OP
Nictuku Dec 2020 #1
Arkansas Granny Dec 2020 #3
soothsayer Dec 2020 #2
Arkansas Granny Dec 2020 #4
Arkansas Granny Dec 2020 #5

Response to Arkansas Granny (Original post)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 10:32 AM

1. I enjoy feeding my birds

We don't have Cardinals in California, but did you know there are Cardinals in Hawaii?

I have Scrub and Stellar Jays, Acorn WoodPeckers, every now and then a Pileated Woodpecker, Lesser American Finch, Red House Finches, Black headed Grosbeaks, Black Phoebe, California Quail, Golden Crowned Sparrows (too many! They eat my plants) Anna's Hummingbird, Northern Flickers, Oak Titmouse, and of course the Turkeys.

It is still dark here in California. When it gets light I'll put some feed out. I found a feed I like called "Wagners Greatest Variety", and I add Black Oil sunflower seeds to it to stretch it out. Peanuts for the Jays.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Nictuku (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 10:54 AM

3. I use a similar mix for a base and then jazz it up a bit to attract a bigger variety.

If I scatter some on the sidewalk, the larger birds leave the smaller ones alone at the feeders.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 10:49 AM

2. Hamburger meat for the crows and peanuts, sunflower hearts, peanuts, and mixed seed for the rest

Making suet balls out of leftover fat too. They eat pretty high on the hog!

Sunflower kernels I guess they are. Unshelled. Not hearts ha.

Reply to this post

Response to soothsayer (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 10:56 AM

4. I don't have any crows in the neighborhood. I've only seen them in rural locations.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 09:47 AM

5. New visitors at the feeder this morning. A pair of Northern Flickers.

I've seen the male before in the backyard, but first time at the feeder. They joined the other ground feeders on the sidewalk.

My daughter got me a feeder for Christmas that holds apples. I'm going to put it up today and see who it might attract.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread