HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Motorsports (Group) » Jessi Combs death investi...

Tue Nov 12, 2019, 02:54 PM

Jessi Combs death investigation: Cause of 550-mph crash in Alvord Desert determined

Source: ABC7

Cause: front wheel assembly collapse at speeds of 550 MPH.

BURNS, Ore. -- Investigators have revealed what they believe to be the cause of the high-speed crash that killed television personality and professional driver Jessi Combs in late August.

A mechanical failure is said to be the cause of the crash that killed the 39-year-old land speed racer. Combs was attempting to break a land speed record in a jet car in the Alvord Desert about 90 miles south of Burns, Oregon, on Aug. 27.

Officials say the front wheel of her vehicle suffered a mechanical problem, likely from hitting something on the ground, and that caused the front wheel assembly to collapse.

The crash happened at speeds near 550 mph.

Combs, a Long Beach resident, was widely known in the niche sport of jet car racing and was trying to break the Women's Land Speed Record of 512 mph set in 1976 by Kitty O'Neil when she died. Combs wrote on Instagram two days before the crash, "People say I'm crazy. I say thank you."

Combs was also known for appearances on Discovery's "Mythbusters" and "Break Room" as well as "Overhaulin'" and "All Girls Garage" on Velocity.

Officials say she died from injuries before her vehicle became engulfed in fire.

Short article. nothing more at LINK: https://abc7.com/cause-of-crash-that-killed-mythbusters-host-jessi-combs-determined/5683169/

This article is from Nov 8, so not breaking news. I was curious about the cause but completely missed this story.

3 replies, 1211 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Jessi Combs death investigation: Cause of 550-mph crash in Alvord Desert determined (Original post)
Mike 03 Nov 2019 OP
alfredo Nov 2019 #1
Mike 03 Nov 2019 #2
Midnight Writer Nov 2019 #3

Response to Mike 03 (Original post)

Tue Nov 12, 2019, 02:59 PM

1. She was fearless and fast.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 12, 2019, 03:05 PM

2. From another article...

An article from a network we don't usually post from here said she likely died almost instantly from blunt force trauma and before the vehicle burst into flames. So at least she didn't burn to death. Sad story though.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 12, 2019, 05:52 PM

3. So...Did she break the Women's Land Speed Record? Does it count if someone dies in the attempt?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread