HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » On Charlie Hebdo Pope Fra...

Fri Jan 16, 2015, 11:11 AM

On Charlie Hebdo Pope Francis is using the wife-beaterís defence

On the day another cartoonist victim was buried at PŤre Lachaise cemetery, the pope came as near as dammit to suggesting that Charlie Hebdo had it coming. ďOne cannot provoke; one cannot insult other peopleís faith; one cannot make fun of faith,Ē he said.

Oh yes, you can. You may not choose to. It may not be wise or polite or kind Ė but you can. And to show you can, without being gunned down, Charlie Hebdo has just gone on sale in the UK, in bolder outlets, proudly defiant with an image of Muhammad on the cover Ė though with a tear and a kindly thought: ďAll is forgiven.Ē

The pope pointed to his aide as he said ďIf my good friend Dr Gasparri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch. Itís normal. Itís normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others.Ē

No, itís not normal to punch someone who insults you; the popeís Christ certainly didnít think so. Verbal provocation is never an excuse for violence Ė thatís the wife-beaterís defence.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/16/pope-francis-free-speech-charlie-hebdo

3 replies, 1271 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply On Charlie Hebdo Pope Francis is using the wife-beaterís defence (Original post)
cleanhippie Jan 2015 OP
trotsky Jan 2015 #1
Johnny Rash Jan 2015 #2
Basic LA Jan 2015 #3

Response to cleanhippie (Original post)

Fri Jan 16, 2015, 11:16 AM

1. Didn't even realize that.

Verbal provocation is never an excuse for violence Ė thatís the wife-beaterís defence.

Absolutely.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 16, 2015, 12:09 PM

2. What ever happened to "Turning The Other Cheek"?

So, let me get this straight:

When somebody punches you in the face? Just turn the other cheek!

But, when somebody curses at you? Punch the "Daylight" out of that person!

OK! Got it!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 16, 2015, 12:56 PM

3. Yo mama.

Maybe he meant the mother church.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread