HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Jewish Group (Group) » (Jewish Group) Tokyo Olym...

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 12:26 AM

(Jewish Group) Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony director fired over old Holocaust skit

The show director for the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony has been fired over a decades-old comedy skit referencing the Holocaust, organisers said Thursday, in the latest blow for the pandemic-delayed Games.

Kentaro Kobayashi made the comment in a video of the sketch dating from 1998 that emerged online on the eve of Friday's ceremony.

"It came to light that during a past performance, (he) used language that mocked a tragic fact of history," Tokyo 2020 Olympic chief Seiko Hashimoto told reporters.

"The organising committee has decided to relieve Kobayashi of his post," she added.

In the sketch, Kobayashi and a comedy partner pretend to be a pair of famous children's TV entertainers.

more...

1 replies, 403 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply (Jewish Group) Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony director fired over old Holocaust skit (Original post)
Behind the Aegis Jul 22 OP
raging moderate Jul 22 #1

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 12:29 AM

1. I stand with the Jewish people.

Period. Whatever it takes. Do not worry. There are many of us. If you need me, just ask.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread