HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » Failure to connect the do...

Wed Mar 9, 2016, 07:36 AM

Failure to connect the dots...

Bernie Sanders is a "new flavor" for young people and Indies. Hillary wins big with DEMOCRATS.
What happened in MI, where Bernie won by 1.7 points in this open primary, was that Indies and young people who are responding to a BROAD and VAGUE message about the evils of Wall Street and an offer of free college tuition came out to vote in large numbers. Hillary won DEMOCRATS. Bernie is a new flavor and a lightening rod for anger and frustration at Washington and wanting big things that aren't going to appear anytime soon, like free tuition and Medicare for all.


Before I logged in today, I cruised various places I've got trashed atm, curious as to reactions to yesterday. I saw similar ideas a number of times, along with anger at 'open primaries' allowing independents to 'take over a party's nominee'.

But no dot connecting. Bernie is popular with young people (notoriously fickle voters) and independents (a LARGER group than Democrats these days).

Both groups we WANT to be voting Democratic in the general. I might even say NEED. Because we don't win the general without Indies, and young people certainly help as well.

Instead, we see anger that they dared to show up and vote in the primary. Here's a hint. We need a candidate that brings them over to check that 'Democratic' box in the general. And that means they should be welcome in the primary, so that we can get a candidate that CAN win in the general, and not just one approved of by an ever shrinking party 'base' that is out of touch with reality on the ground and simply trying to cruise along on loyalty to a party that has changed dramatically since that loyalty was earned.

8 replies, 2265 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Failure to connect the dots... (Original post)
Erich Bloodaxe BSN Mar 2016 OP
daleanime Mar 2016 #1
rosesaylavee Mar 2016 #2
Bgordon747 Mar 2016 #3
pinebox Mar 2016 #4
Happenstance24 Mar 2016 #5
LWolf Mar 2016 #6
randome Mar 2016 #7
UglyGreed Mar 2016 #8

Response to Erich Bloodaxe BSN (Original post)

Wed Mar 9, 2016, 08:07 AM

1. K&R....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Erich Bloodaxe BSN (Original post)

Wed Mar 9, 2016, 08:13 AM

2. I am on my way to becoming an Independent...

And yes, we used to be a big tent party. I guess that is no longer the case. You are either WITH the 'tribe' or under the bus with the establishment Dems.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Erich Bloodaxe BSN (Original post)

Wed Mar 9, 2016, 08:16 AM

3. 0. Failure to connect the dots...

Bernie is popular because he wants to invest into people through education, and taking away the massive profiteering off of peoples pain and medical conditions. These are already part of everyday life in many other countries.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Erich Bloodaxe BSN (Original post)

Wed Mar 9, 2016, 08:17 AM

4. BUT "Republicans won't vote for Bernie!" Meme smashed & ended.

 

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Erich Bloodaxe BSN (Original post)

Wed Mar 9, 2016, 08:20 AM

5. That goes both ways though

If Bernie gets the nom he isn't winning jack if Dems and especially AAs don't come out for him in Nov. I get the complaint that Hillary doesn't win in blue states yet but neither does Bernie win big in big diverse blue states either. How can he catch up delegate wise or win in November if he could just barely eek by Hillary with less than a 2% majority last night. He has to up his win ratio significantly. Now a win is a win IMO but Bernie has just as many problems as Hillary does. Pretend any differently at your own folly. There is also the question of how Bernie does when he takes a punch. He hasn't really been hit hard yet. What will he do when Trump goes after his family for example? And that will happen btw. Trump has no boundaries or morals. The fact he is pulling the so called Christian vote is hilarious. Even worse news for Bernie is that NY, CA, and PA are closed primaries as well.

Hillary took her eye off the ball with MI. She only campaigned in the Detroit/Flint area and left the rest of the state alone and she started focusing on Trump and not Sanders. She got caught sleeping. Problem is you usually only get that chance once. She will learn from this and go hardcore for Ohio over the net week. Watch. Question is if Sanders can build real momentum from MI or not. We'll see in a few days.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Erich Bloodaxe BSN (Original post)

Wed Mar 9, 2016, 09:16 AM

6. +1

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Erich Bloodaxe BSN (Original post)

Wed Mar 9, 2016, 09:22 AM

7. You call that 'anger'? It's an objective analysis of what happened.

 

I'm not seeing the anger, unless by 'anger' you mean anything that isn't 100% in lock-step with Sanders.
[hr][font color="blue"][center]A 90% chance of rain means the same as a 10% chance:
It might rain and it might not.
[/center][/font][hr]

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Reply to this thread