HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » If a poll watcher talks t...

Mon Nov 7, 2016, 06:01 PM

If a poll watcher talks to you, report this illegal action to the Election Judge!

From CNN's Steve Vladek in the on-line article "What are poll watchers and what are they allowed to do," posted on Saturday, 10-29-16:

"Every state makes it illegal to intimidate a voter... For example, an individual's [watcher's] actions designed to interrupt or intimidate voters at polling places by QUESTIONING THEM OR CHALLENGING THEM..." (my emphasis)

As a former election judge in Texas, I can say this statement by Vladek is true. Poll watchers MUST report any concerns to the Election Judge, and not otherwise interrupt the voting process.

Tell the Judge when a watcher is talking with you, and do so immediately immediately!

3 replies, 1159 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply If a poll watcher talks to you, report this illegal action to the Election Judge! (Original post)
Eleanors38 Nov 2016 OP
longship Nov 2016 #1
Vinca Nov 2016 #2
Eleanors38 Nov 2016 #3

Response to Eleanors38 (Original post)

Mon Nov 7, 2016, 06:50 PM

1. Poll watchers are not allowed to interfere in any way.

That's the law almost everywhere.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Eleanors38 (Original post)

Mon Nov 7, 2016, 06:51 PM

2. Do I report it before or after I tell the poll watcher to go fuck themselves?

Reply to this post

Response to Vinca (Reply #2)

Tue Nov 8, 2016, 04:14 PM

3. I know of no states prohibiting you from speaking to watchers, before or after.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread