HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » GOP Congressman ‘Offended...

Sun May 26, 2013, 10:09 AM

GOP Congressman ‘Offended’ By Moral Questions Obama Addressed In Counterterror Speech

The House Homeland Security Committee chairman said on Sunday that he was “offended” that President Obama considered moral questions about U.S. counterterrorism policy in his major speech on national security last week.

“That’s what bothered me about the president’s speech,” Rep. Peter King (R-NY) said on ABC’s This Week, was “the moral anguishing he was going through.” When asked whether the Obama administration should change its drone policy, King replied, “If it does change it shouldn’t change for moral reasons,” apparently because the New York Republican thinks the United States should’t have to ask moral questions about its foreign policy:

KING: Listen, every soldier, every cop who is faced with a decision to make, life or death, does the best he or she can and I think our country has done more than any country in the history of the world to limit civilian casualties so that just offended me, that whole tone of it. (...)

As far as the policy …. I think this policy basically has worked … and perhaps we can fine tune it, we can put more emphasis on clandestine activity of actually gathering intelligence rather than relying so much on drones but for me i don’t think the president really addressed that in the speech. I think he was coming at it from a more from this moral tone which I just think was misplaced. I don’t think it’s called for.

full article
http://thinkprogress.org/security/2013/05/26/2062851/peter-king-obama-offended-speech/

8 replies, 2041 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP Congressman ‘Offended’ By Moral Questions Obama Addressed In Counterterror Speech (Original post)
DonViejo May 2013 OP
chelsea0011 May 2013 #1
The Velveteen Ocelot May 2013 #2
appleannie1 May 2013 #3
Dawson Leery May 2013 #4
lsewpershad May 2013 #5
indepat May 2013 #6
BillyRibs May 2013 #7
jmowreader May 2013 #8

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sun May 26, 2013, 10:18 AM

1. translated...Republican offended because POTUS opened his mouth about anything

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun May 26, 2013, 10:26 AM

2. DUer 'offended' by obnoxious attitude of GOP congressman.

Peter King can bite me.
This is the DU member formerly known as The Velveteen Ocelot.

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 10:36 AM

3. A country without morals would resemble Germany in the 30's and 40's Mr. King. Would that offend

you?

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 11:33 AM

4. The Grand Dragon of Nassau County is offended

that Obama will not discriminate against Arabs.

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 12:33 PM

5. Think

King feels this way because he is amoral? just asking.

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 02:06 PM

6. Is any patriotic American not offended by what Rep. Peter King (R-NY) says,

does, and stands for?

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 08:48 PM

7. Sun Tzu , about the morals of war.

The Moral Law causes the people to be in complete accord with their ruler, so that they will follow him regardless of their lives, undismayed by any danger.

I.O.W. King has No idea whatsoever about the waging of war, or how to conduct a war. The man speaks first before he thinks.

Reply to this post

Tue May 28, 2013, 02:11 PM

8. Strangeness: the GOP claims to run on morality

Think of the social issue: abortion, gay marriage, whatever. The GOP will claim 'morality' is behind their opposition. But bring up the notion we have an obligation to not indiscriminately kill random people and morality should play no part.

Which only proves morality isn't really behind religion; it's simply a way to legitimize hatred.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread