HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » A huge fact that Michael ...

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 12:22 PM

A huge fact that Michael Tomasky wrote about this am..I did not know...

From Daily Beast......
"A huge lie. Here’s a fact I’d bet no more than 2 percent of the American public knows: that “clean” continuing resolution the Senate passed, with Democrats backing it and Republicans opposing it? That CR carried the levels of funding for government agencies demanded by Republicans, not Democrats.

That’s right. The Senate CR funds the government in the coming weeks at a level of $988 billion. The Democrats wanted $1.058 billion. But they passed a bill at Republican levels. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said late last week: “My caucus really didn’t like that. We took a real hit…So that’s one of the largest compromises since I’ve been in Congress.”

Now why did they pass a bill at the GOP’s preferred levels? Because, Reid said late last week, he had assurances from Boehner that the House speaker wouldn’t attach demands to the Senate CR if Reid brought it in at $988 billion. So this whole thing started with a significant Democratic compromise. But once the Republicans decided that they were going to use both the shutdown and the debt ceiling to try to defund and/or delay Obamacare, they couldn’t even vote for a bill that gave them a major fiscal victory. That’s how dug in and crazy they are."

8 replies, 1328 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply A huge fact that Michael Tomasky wrote about this am..I did not know... (Original post)
busterbrown Oct 2013 OP
elleng Oct 2013 #1
busterbrown Oct 2013 #2
jollyreaper2112 Oct 2013 #3
IdaBriggs Oct 2013 #4
Justice Oct 2013 #5
Liberal_Stalwart71 Oct 2013 #6
TeamPooka Oct 2013 #7
ramapo Oct 2013 #8

Response to busterbrown (Original post)

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 12:25 PM

1. Gimme Gimme Gimme

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 12:30 PM

2. “Shelter” N/T

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 12:53 PM

3. Huh?

Why did they even concede that in the first place? Democrats are terrible at this.

Reply to this post

Response to jollyreaper2112 (Reply #3)

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 01:34 PM

4. "Maybe THIS TIME will be different. Maybe we CAN just get along."

"He said he was sorry. And he sounded so sincere..."

There is a bit of "abused spouse" in the equation, isn't there?

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 02:38 PM

5. I have posted about this multiple times

Absolutely, Reid and Pelosi have failed to tell this truth. Dana bash reported it as an after thought in reporting on interviews.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 8, 2013, 08:25 PM

6. I knew and mandate federal employees like me a also knew. Why?

Because all federal agencies submit budget recommendations every year. Fearing that Congress would put us through yet another CR, we watched while the Senate made cuts to valuable programs to preempt the House ReThugs from cutting more! Most federal employees who were engaged in the budget process actually prayed for the CR in the end because the House budget did result in much deeper cuts. So even though the CR reflects most of what the ReThugs wanted, the budget that House ReThugs put forth would be even worse!!

This is the point that most in the lazy, corporate media, is ignoring and it's driving me insane!! The CR IS the fucking compromise!! In fact, the CR reflects even more of a compromise (capitulation) by the Democrats than ReThugs!!!

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 8, 2013, 08:30 PM

7. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 8, 2013, 09:06 PM

8. I knew

Those f'ing bastards in the TP are just a bunch of lying psychopaths

Reply to this post