HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » Where Bernie is disingenu...

Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:28 PM

Where Bernie is disingenuous

(1) His platform calls for increased government spending. However to have an honest discussion on policy you need to discuss the sources of revenue as well. I don't know whether he has raised this issue at his rally: how much revenue will he raise from each source? what are the tax rates that will be increased? who will be impacted?

And no, a "financial transactions tax" is not the gold at the end of the rainbow: painless (on the people who matter), plentiful and without adverse side effect.

(2) free public college: all countries that have tried it impose limits on who qualifies. I don't here any discussion of this.

(3) Denmark/Scandinavia nirvana: not a word of the high taxes on the middle class.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

38 replies, 1591 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 38 replies Author Time Post
Reply Where Bernie is disingenuous (Original post)
hill2016 Dec 2015 OP
Name removed Dec 2015 #1
hill2016 Dec 2015 #6
Scootaloo Dec 2015 #2
Matariki Dec 2015 #3
bvf Dec 2015 #7
LineLineReply !
bvf Dec 2015 #4
merrily Dec 2015 #5
Docreed2003 Dec 2015 #26
artislife Dec 2015 #31
cosmicone Dec 2015 #8
zalinda Dec 2015 #9
Thinkingabout Dec 2015 #28
artislife Dec 2015 #32
Eric J in MN Dec 2015 #10
aidbo Dec 2015 #11
UglyGreed Dec 2015 #21
artislife Dec 2015 #33
firebrand80 Dec 2015 #23
Docreed2003 Dec 2015 #27
beam me up scottie Dec 2015 #12
AgingAmerican Dec 2015 #13
hill2016 Dec 2015 #20
Enrique Dec 2015 #14
treestar Dec 2015 #15
AgingAmerican Dec 2015 #16
hill2016 Dec 2015 #22
AgingAmerican Dec 2015 #25
GermanWatcher Dec 2015 #35
Hepburn Dec 2015 #17
Thinkingabout Dec 2015 #29
Armstead Dec 2015 #18
fleur-de-lisa Dec 2015 #19
Alfresco Dec 2015 #24
artislife Dec 2015 #30
PatrickforO Dec 2015 #34
Motown_Johnny Dec 2015 #36
WillyT Dec 2015 #37
Hiraeth Dec 2015 #38

Response to hill2016 (Original post)

Response to Name removed (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:59 PM

6. sure

show me how much revenue he wants to bring in from taxes and who exactly he is taxing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:33 PM

2. What's the secret word of the day, Conky?

Reply to this post

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:37 PM

3. lol

DU needs a game where you try to group all the posts with the 'secret word of the day'!

Reply to this post

Response to Matariki (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 12:46 AM

7. Hmm...

Showing my age.

But, great idea that would never fly!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:45 PM

4. !

Out with it, Conky!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:50 PM

5. I prefer Conky to this one.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 07:59 PM

26. Lmao....

That brings back memories

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:13 PM

31. I have to vote for Bernie

His supporters are quirky and fun!!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:04 AM

8. Kicked and highly recommended n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:45 AM

9. And what about all the tax breaks Hillary wants?

These tax breaks will do absolutely nothing for the poor, because they usually don't pay taxes. And, if you keep up with the news the middle class is shrinking fast. So, most of these tax breaks will go to the wealthy, but then you knew that.

Z

Reply to this post

Response to zalinda (Reply #9)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:05 PM

28. What tax breaks?

Reply to this post

Response to zalinda (Reply #9)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:15 PM

32. There is a crazy thing in this country

They only think working has merit. Maybe because it is the money generator for it?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 04:10 AM

10. Bernie Sanders has been clearer about taxes than Hillary Clinton.

Bernie Sanders introduced "The College for All Act" which raises the needed $750 billion with stock-transactions tax:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/1373/text
===
“(1) 0.5 percent in the case of a security described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of subsection (e)(1),

“(2) 0.10 percent in the case of a security described in subparagraph (C) of subsection (e)(1), and

“(3) 0.005 percent in the case of a security described in subparagraph (D), (E), or (F) of subsection (e)(1).
====

Hillary Clinton doesn't have a specific tax proposal for the $350 billion needed for her "debt-free college" plan.

With regard to Denmark, the Danes pay high taxes, but they're at the top in terms of happiness.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 04:31 AM

11. I like Nirvana!

Reply to this post

Response to aidbo (Reply #11)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:18 PM

21. +10000000

Reply to this post

Response to UglyGreed (Reply #21)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:16 PM

33. I went to the Seattle Center when we got the news

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:22 PM

23. You win my award for Avatar of the day

Well done

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:00 PM

27. Great song....

Love the "Live and Loud" version as well..

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 04:38 AM

12. Amazon review for Uranium Ore

So glad I don't have to buy this from Libyans in parking lots at the mall anymore.
By Kyle J. Von Bose - January 21, 2009

I bought this to power a home-made submarine that I use to look for prehistoric-era life forms in land-locked lakes around my home town in Alaska. At first I wasn't sure if this item would (or could) arrive via mail, but I was glad to see it showed up with no problems. Well, almost no problems.

Unfortuantly my mom opened my mail, because she does not respect people's privacy. She was pretty upset to see Uranium Ore. After a long argument and me running away from home again, she finaly stopped being such an idiot and I was able to get back to work.

The quality of this Uranium is on par with the stuff I was bying from the Libyans over at the mall parking lot, but at half the price! I just hope the seller does not run out, because I have many projects on my list including a night vision sasquatch radar, an electromagnetic chupakabra cage, a high velocity, aerial, weighted Mothman net and super heated, instant grill cheese sandwhich maker.

https://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Uranium-Ore/dp/B000796XXM/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 05:55 AM

13. His platform would be cheaper than what we have now

Denmark/Scandinavia have as much or more disposable income than we do. That's because they don't go broke paying medical bill and tuition fees.

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #13)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:16 PM

20. then who is going

to pay for the medical bill and tuition fees?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 06:05 AM

14. he is very upfront about raising taxes

George Stephanopoulos challenged him on it and he very frankly said, yes everyone's taxes will need to go up.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 06:14 AM

15. True he should at least address those issues

There was a discussion about free college in Germany and it came out that only the top students get in.

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #15)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 06:34 AM

16. Entry requirements come from the institution

They are not government mandated.

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #16)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:19 PM

22. so

what about people who go to community college. Do they get free college too?

Reply to this post

Response to hill2016 (Reply #22)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 07:52 PM

25. Community colleges are public

Do you even know how it works? If you cannot get into a university from HS, you go to community college, earn an AA or an AS transfer degree then transfer to a university. I didn't graduate from the 7th grade, but ended up getting a GED, an AS from a CC, then I transferred to the University and got a bachelors degree. That's how it works.

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #15)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:35 PM

35. College is free for students in Germany

From firsthand knowledge I can tell you that college (Universität in German) is free in Germany. There are no tuition fees other than administrative charges (usually less than 200 $ per semester).
Students from low-income families can even apply for a federal subsidy that can go up to about 750 $ a month.
This applies to everyone who has the qualification to go to Uni - a diploma called Abitur that about 40 percent od German students get at age 18 - 19.
By the way, the Getman marginal tax rate is 42 percent.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 10:31 AM

17. Wow, you mean it will get tighter for Middle Class wage earners getting $250K/year??

Cry me a river.

Reply to this post

Response to Hepburn (Reply #17)

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:09 PM

29. Hillary wants FICA raised on those making $250,000 a year, Sanders wants it raised

Those making less than $250,000 a year.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 10:41 AM

18. I have some quotes that seem to sum up your message

“Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”

“We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much.”

“No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we’ll ever see on this earth!”

“Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government always finds a need for the money it gets.”

“You can’t be for big government, big taxes, and big bureaucracy and still be for the little guy.”

“The American people are not undertaxed, the government in Washington is overfed.”

“Whenever we lower the tax rates, our entire nation is better off.”

Ronald Reagan

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 10:50 AM

19. I know, right . . .

http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-pms-dog-bites-political-visitors-092310998.html

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's recently adopted dog Kaiya has sunk her teeth into her new position, biting two visitors at an event on Wednesday, including the husband of the deputy foreign minister.

At a candle-lighting ceremony to mark the Jewish festival of Hannukah, the 10-year-old mixed breed also took a snip at a member of parliament from Netanyahu's Likud party.

Knesset Member Sharren Haskel, a veterinary nurse, dismissed the incident, telling Army Radio it was "trivial".

more at link . . .

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:55 PM

24. A nebulous kick.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:09 PM

30. He has answered the first question at his rallies and more.

Yes, grades is what they use in Germany for example. You compete with the students from your area for seats at Uni.
The Scandinavian countries tax is higher. But then they don't have to pay for medical insurance and medical treatments not covered.

If you are really interested, go to feelthebern.org. They have created a very fun and easy to use website with tiles that will allow you to click on them and they will take you to the topic they represent.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:27 PM

34. It blows me away that you're even advancing this argument.

We've all noticed, especially since the Bush tax cuts, that government can't cut, cut, cut business and personal income taxes and then still provide the services we depend on.

Right now, we have over $20 trillion in UNTAXED corporate profits and wealthy earner income stashed offshore. The big finance houses have 'bots that perform arbitrage in split second trades. We have billionaires paying a lower tax rate than their administrative assistant. We allow estates of up to $5 million to be transferred untaxed, and with loopholes in estate planning, it is possible to transfer the entire amount through trusts without any tax.

Now, I suspect that before this Bernie/Hillary race, you'd have been right with me here, because we on the left have been saying that trickle down economics has never, does not now and will never work. In the meantime, we've had ebola scares and massive bush fires in CA and all over the west coast, and we've found out (remember Lindsay 'we're all gonna dyah!' Graham?) that Republican cuts have made things much, much more dangerous.

Basically, Hill, we've all been saying the government needs to raise taxes to pay for services we need. We don't want to forego those services, and many of us are saying we desperately need to spend some money on the infrastructure. I suspect you have as well.

Well, in a just tax system the rich pay more, the middle incrementally less and poor very little. You know all this.

Yet, for political expediency you are using the 'he's going to raise taxes so you should fear him' argument. You're better than that, Hill. All of us are.

Now, if you'll permit, I will inject a personal note into this: I don't mind a bit paying more taxes, if paying them means that my grandkids will be able to go to college without getting into a huge hole of debt, that I will not have to worry about going broke if I get sick, and that my old age Social Security pension will be secure and will keep me from eating out of dumpsters.

See, Hill, right now, between my employer and me, we pay 18.5% of my gross for shitty, rationed healthcare from an HMO who cares far more about cutting costs than giving my family the actual treatment we need. Not only that, but for about the last decade, employees at my firm have been called into a meeting room by HR in November to be told how our copays will be going up, the services we qualify for will be going down, and our premiums will be increasing (this year for me it is 8% - my employer absorbed the other 3%). So, I already pay 'taxes' out the nose for healthcare. They are called premiums. Under Bernie's plan I'd pay the same or even a bit less for MUCH BETTER CARE.

So, ask me if I'd like (and be willing to pay higher taxes to fund) a single payer healthcare system like the United Kingdom has and I will not only say 'yes!' but I'll say HELL YES!!!

Bernie hasn't been disingenuous. He has said he'll raise taxes. But you know as well as I do, Hill, that it won't happen without lots of pressure from us and some bipartisan effort in Congress. So, to be more detailed than he has been knowing as he does how Congress works, would be disingenuous. Saying 'this is what I want to do and will try to do if elected, with all your help' doesn't seem disingenuous at all. He's even calling for a 'political revolution' which basically means the American people getting engaged in politics like they should be.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:42 PM

36. Another dishonest post from a Clinton supporter, why am I not shocked?

Please link to where Sen. Sanders had referred to either Denmark or Scandinavia as a "Nirvana".

All he has ever said is that there are things done in those systems which we can learn from.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 09:16 PM

37. Easy Peasy... We've Done It Before, Ya Know ???

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2015, 09:30 PM

38. I hope you are happy now

seems you have been proven wrong

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread