HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » History of Feminism (Group) » misogyny and just not fuc...

Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:08 PM

misogyny and just not fucking getting it in all its glory

As a man these two things struck me this weekend as perfect examples of sexism and how the GOP is the dumbass party of it. Haley Barbour's reference to the "lady mayor" being the more benign but dead giveaway example. But the Texas GOP trying to call out Wendy Davis has got to go down in the history books. They are going to piss off some Texas women. This is about to be Clayton Williams redux. (Google him)

8 replies, 1866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply misogyny and just not fucking getting it in all its glory (Original post)
arely staircase Jan 2014 OP
Scuba Jan 2014 #1
niyad Jan 2014 #2
arely staircase Jan 2014 #3
Lunacee_2013 Jan 2014 #4
nomorenomore08 Jan 2014 #5
mercuryblues Jan 2014 #6
redqueen Jan 2014 #7
YoungDemCA Jan 2014 #8

Response to arely staircase (Original post)

Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:12 PM

1. How'd that "Clatie vs the Lady" thing work out, Clayton?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:18 PM

2. I keep thinking mr. peabody's way-back machine has been operating full-time, because these people

(and I use the term advisedly) are clearly from some other time or place.

Reply to this post

Response to niyad (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:27 PM

3. oh I have thought along the same lines

"This sill be a great biting comment on our candidate's part" if it were 1954. Now granted nobody has gone full on GOP Disaster 2012 except the spousal rape guy. But so far no bigtime statewide candidates in major places. Wendy's opponent is smart enough not to say such things but I predict many having to distance yourself moments on his part.then again he may go full Missouri/Indiana at some point, especially if he thinks he isn't being recorded (see Mitt Romney, class issues)

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 22, 2014, 11:04 PM

4. THE TX GOP IS SCARED OF WENDY!!!!!

Sorry, I can't help myself. I just want her to win sooooo badly.

Wasn't Clayton Williams the guy who told women to just "relax and enjoy it" if they were raped? Somehow I don't see him taking his own advice if that happened to him, and the perp wasn't a woman. Not saying I want that to happen, not at ALL, I have more empathy then that and Clayton Williams too.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 22, 2014, 11:09 PM

5. Part of me thinks they've pushed way too far now, and are on their way out.

But maybe I'm too optimistic...

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:02 AM

6. they get it

They just don't care. There used to be a day when crap like this worked. Now that women make up a huge voting block, it doesn't fly anymore.

Reply to this post

Response to mercuryblues (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 24, 2014, 11:28 AM

7. If only so many women didn't have so much internalized misogyny.

It's interesting that single women overwhelmingly vote democratic, but for some reason once they get married they often switch.

I'd love to see more information on this phenomenon. I imagine it applies to heterosexual marriages only. I would think it doesn't happen when they marry other democrats... but maybe it does and they both switch parties.

Reply to this post

Response to redqueen (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:48 PM

8. I wonder how much of the married-women-voting-Republican phenomenon....

...is due to religion (specifically, evangelical Protestantism, along with more traditionalist mainline Protestantism, Catholicism, and Mormonism), race (how many non-white women vote Republican? I imagine not a whole lot..), and tied into the previous two: an idealized view of the "traditional" (scare quotes absolutely necessary) nuclear family.

I do agree, though, that this phenomenon only really applies to heterosexual marriages-and to women who marry Republican-voting men.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread