HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Interfaith Group (Group) » so--I confess my ignoranc...

Thu Feb 27, 2020, 09:36 AM

so--I confess my ignorance.....

could someone please explain to this unlearned wretch (moi) the significance of the ashes on the forehead on Ash Wednesday? It's very mysterious to me.

9 replies, 1067 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to lastlib (Original post)

Thu Feb 27, 2020, 09:44 AM

1. Thou art but dust, and to dust you shall return

The church’s mind game reminder that you are nothing and they are your only ticket to any kind of afterlife.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Miguelito Loveless (Reply #1)

Sun Sep 20, 2020, 01:59 PM

2. Protestant and Orthodox churches celebrate Ash Wednesday too, you know.

Reply to this post

Response to shrike3 (Reply #2)

Sun Sep 20, 2020, 08:02 PM

4. It started with the Roman church

then they had a falling out. Personally, I am an atheist ex-Catholic, so no bigotry toward other Christian denominations intended.

Reply to this post

Response to Miguelito Loveless (Reply #4)

Sun Sep 20, 2020, 08:23 PM

5. If you are indeed an ex-Catholic, your comment demonstrates an astonishing ignorance

as to what Ash Wednesday means. Anyway, the rite probably has at least some roots in Judaism and its tradition of reflection and repentance. Given that Christianity is an Abrahamic religion, it makes sense.

Reply to this post

Response to shrike3 (Reply #5)

Mon Sep 21, 2020, 12:14 AM

6. "If"

Go to love the passive-aggressive insinuation.

Reply to this post

Response to Miguelito Loveless (Reply #6)

Mon Sep 21, 2020, 09:46 AM

7. Hey, I don't know you. We all can be anyone we want on the Internets

My comment still stands, though. Hope I answered the OP's question to their satisfaction.

Reply to this post

Response to shrike3 (Reply #7)

Tue Sep 22, 2020, 09:25 AM

8. So, you're default setting

when addressing someone as a newbie on this site is to assume people who post are liars because you disagree with their view?

Also, I literally quoted the Old Testament "Thou art dust, and to dust thou shall return" from Genesis 3:19 as the source of what is said when ashes are applied, and somehow you view this as unsatisfactory.

The you repeat your insinuation that I am lying about having been raised Catholic.

My, aren't you the charmer.

Reply to this post

Response to Miguelito Loveless (Reply #8)

Tue Sep 22, 2020, 09:41 AM

9. I'm not a newbie. I've probably been on the site longer than you have.

I registered during GWB's first term. I was locked out during the great hack of 2016 and just recently decided to re-register on another name, simil. I seem to remember the actual words during the dispensation of ashes is, "Remember man that thou art dust and unto dust you shall return." Surprises me you didn't use those words. But I'll take your word for it that you are an ex-Catholic because I simply have nothing else to go on. Strange to me, too, that you'd be an atheist commenting in the Interfaith group, since you have no belief.

That aside, simply quoting the old testament was insufficient, in my estimation, since the original poster may indeed have no religious training and a bible verse may mean absolutely nothing to them. Hence, I thought more explanation was needed. Your original post mostly announced your anger with the church, which is certainly your right and stems from your own experience, likely. But the original poster was simply asking for the origin of Ash Wednesday, not your opinion of the church. btw, the Orthodox Church grew concurrently with the Roman church, dating back to about 33 A.D., so the Roman Church cannot be blamed for "everything" when it comes to Christianity. Have a good day.

Reply to this post

Response to lastlib (Original post)

Sun Sep 20, 2020, 02:04 PM

3. Some think Ash Wednesday has its roots in the Jewish tradition of penance and fasting

Which would make sense, since Christianity is an Abrahamic religion. Ash Wednesday, and lent, is supposed to be a time of reflection, repentance and fasting. The ashes are a symbol of death and repentance. Muslims do not observe Ash Wednesday, but they do fast during the month of Ramadan.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread