HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Groups » Bernie Sanders (Group) » It's time for Bernie to r...

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 04:39 PM

It's time for Bernie to release a strong statement on gun control

It would carry more weight coming from him considering his history on the issue, and would negate a talking point from the other candidates.

11 replies, 756 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply It's time for Bernie to release a strong statement on gun control (Original post)
HerbChestnut Dec 2015 OP
virtualobserver Dec 2015 #1
HerbChestnut Dec 2015 #2
Fawke Em Dec 2015 #3
HerbChestnut Dec 2015 #5
darkangel218 Dec 2015 #6
HerbChestnut Dec 2015 #7
Fawke Em Dec 2015 #8
HerbChestnut Dec 2015 #9
darkangel218 Dec 2015 #4
olddots Dec 2015 #10
Duckfan Dec 2015 #11

Response to HerbChestnut (Original post)

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 05:21 PM

1. what gun control measure would you suggest?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to virtualobserver (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 05:42 PM

2. Here's my own personal list.

1. Ban anyone with a criminal record from owning a gun. Period. Expand background checks.
2. Limit the number of guns someone can own. Let's say 2.
3. Ban assault weapons.
4. Ban hand guns.
5. Limit hunting rifle sales to those with a hunting license.
6. Create special exemptions for rural citizens (I live in northern Maine, and many people carry sidearms when walking around the woods to protect themselves from bears. If a bear approaches they fire shots into the ground. It's usually enough to scare the bear away.)
7. Create gun-free zones in urban and suburban areas. Anyone caught with guns in those locations will be arrested and charged and their gun will be taken away permanently. No exceptions.
8. Establish state controlled "gun lockers" in cooperation with state police departments where people living in gun free zones can keep their guns if they travel to hunt.
9. Overhaul the mental healthcare system.

What am I missing?

Reply to this post

Response to HerbChestnut (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 05:45 PM

3. Ban handguns?

Many, many, many law-abiding Americans keep handguns in their homes for personal protection.

And, on No. 7, where are you supposed to store your hunting rifles when you're not using them if you can't have them in your urban apartment/condo or suburban home? You really want them to have to go by a police department at 3 a.m. and then be arrested for traveling with them until they get out of the city?

Reply to this post

Response to Fawke Em (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 06:02 PM

5. Obviously...

You would store them at police departments outside of the gun-free zones. And yes, I would fully expect hunters living in urban or suburban areas to make the extra effort.

As for handguns, I understand where you're coming from. However, in my opinion handguns only have one real purpose and that is to kill human beings. It's what they're built to do. That said, I made sure to include an exemption for rural landowners.

Reply to this post

Response to HerbChestnut (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 06:06 PM

6. How would you be able to take the guns from the criminals?

You realize how big this country is , some of us live in the country side or even out in the woods. How do you propose we defend ourselves?? Especially women, who are not as strong as men??

Thread trashed.

Reply to this post

Response to darkangel218 (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 06:19 PM

7. This is another common argument.

As for people living in rural areas, I made sure to add an exemption for them. I fully understand that the needs of rural landowners are different than those in suburban or urban areas. I've lived in all three.

Criminals are more difficult. Obviously, someone meaning to commit a crime will not advertise it, and there's no doubt gun crimes would continue for some time. When someone commits a crime they lose their guns and are subject to a house search to remove any others they might own. Clearly, something like this wouldn't happen overnight. It would likely take years before handguns were taken off the streets. But you have to start somewhere and stay dedicated to a plan otherwise the status quo continues.

And of course, anyone selling firearms illegally would be severely punished.

Reply to this post

Response to HerbChestnut (Reply #7)

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 07:28 PM

8. But your exemption is unrealistic.

People who live on farms or in the boonies have shotguns and handguns for several reasons, two of which are these:

1. To shoot wild animals who are killing their livestock and/or are threatening them.
2. Yes, to shoot humans who are threatening their families since it will be awhile before a police officer can get there. The response time in the boonies isn't like the urban or suburban areas.

The first, obviously, is more common, but both can be necessary.

On edit: Not trying to argue, but I think your last point should be the first point. Most of the people who go on these murderous sprees obviously have mental issues. I don't own a gun, myself, but both my husband and I are professionally trained to use them. We live in a city and have dogs. We choose not to own one because we also have children, but I can't say that everyone who owns a handgun is going to fly off the edge.

Reply to this post

Response to Fawke Em (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 07:40 PM

9. That's why the exemption is there.

That said you make a good point about farmers. I'd add them to the exemption as well though most would probably qualify anyway due to the location of most farms.

As for the order, it was just whatever popped into my head first. Prioritizing would be a little different.

Reply to this post

Response to HerbChestnut (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 05:56 PM

4. Ban handguns?? Umm no thanks.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 3, 2015, 01:42 AM

10. he has to do this NOW

and come back at the Hillbots hard and heavy even if they won't listen the country will .

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 3, 2015, 02:04 AM

11. I agree

I feel he has to make a statement and take away critics ability to call him whatever. Besides, he could get some good coverage too.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread