HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Groups » Martin O'Malley (Group) » O'Malley Op-ed: Donald T...

Thu Sep 24, 2015, 08:33 AM

O'Malley Op-ed: Donald Trumpís reckless stance on gun laws

It tells you everything you need to know about todayís Republican Party that its frontrunner for President believes immigrants are a bigger threat to this country than assault weapons.

Donald Trump recently released a plan to allow unfettered access to handguns without adequate safety measures like universal background checks. He opposes state laws prohibiting high-capacity magazines and assault weapons. And he proposes federalizing concealed carry permit programs.

This is, quite honestly, reckless and irresponsible.

His proposal is just shameless pandering to the National Rifle Associationóone of the most powerful special interest lobbies in the country. The only thing on which we agree is that our country has a problem with gun violence. But, unlike Donald Trump, I know that the only way to combat gun violence is by standing up to the NRA and implementing comprehensive gun safety laws.

Thatís exactly what Iíve done throughout my career, and will do as President. Will you stand with me today?

As President, I will pass a national assault weapons ban, implement stricter background checks, and increase efforts to reduce straw-buying, like fingerprint requirements.

Sign up today to stand with me against gun violence, and read my full policy paper on how Iíd address this issue.

https://martinomalley.com/act-on-gun-violence

Thanks,

Martin OíMalley

x-posted to GD: P

3 replies, 1082 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply O'Malley Op-ed: Donald Trumpís reckless stance on gun laws (Original post)
FSogol Sep 2015 OP
pipoman Sep 2015 #1
FSogol Sep 2015 #2
pipoman Sep 2015 #3

Response to FSogol (Original post)

Thu Sep 24, 2015, 09:57 AM

1. ...

As President, I will pass a national assault weapons ban, implement stricter background checks, and increase efforts to reduce straw-buying, like fingerprint requirements.†

He will not pass national "assault weapons ban". He will not be fingerprinting gun buyers. If by "stricter background checks" he means a national intrastate private sale requirement, he will not pass that either. His becoming president doesn't amend the Bill of Rights nor affect SCOTUS case law.

I like Martin. He either hasn't been following on this issue, or he knows these things cannot happen but thinks the avid gun controllers are in play....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to pipoman (Reply #1)

Thu Sep 24, 2015, 10:31 AM

2. That's the type of attitude that allows the NRA to win and win.

It is possible to tweak current gun laws to try and keep guns out of the hands of criminals, abusers, and the mentally ill without affecting the rights of collectors, enthusiasts, hunters, and target shooters. Being a naysayer on any gun related suggestion won't make the issues go away. Every single one of our rights contains restrictions and certain responsibilities. Gun rights shouldn't be the exception.

See Maryland's gun laws. They aren't perfect, but as a vast improvement over Virginia's loose laws.

Reply to this post

Response to FSogol (Reply #2)

Thu Sep 24, 2015, 12:23 PM

3. No, it's the type of reality that must be acknowledged

So we can find solutions which are not constitutionally impossible instead of more of the last 20 years of failure.

Federal possibilities and impossibilities have been very clearly laid out.

You are correct, there are things which could be done. These things do not include (at the federal level) private intrastate sale background checks, assault weapons bans, or any type of registration, licensing, or testing schemes, and a host of other unconstitutional proposals. Concentration on these asked and answered memes and ignoring things which actually are possible will ensure another 20 years of no changes.

There are no other enumerated rights in the Constitution or BoR which have more restrictions than the 2nd amendment.

What some states are doing or have done has absolutely no relevance to what can be done federally.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread