HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Pete Buttigieg Crushes Tr...
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 06:53 AM

Pete Buttigieg Crushes Trump's Laughable Claim That The GOP Is The Party Of Health Care

Posted on Tue, Mar 26th, 2019 by Sean Colarossi
Pete Buttigieg Crushes Trump’s Laughable Claim That The GOP Is The Party Of Health Care

Rising Democratic candidate and mayor of South Bend, Indiana, Pete Buttigieg, said on Tuesday that he is “mystified” by Donald Trump’s decision to try – once again – to take health care away from millions of Americans.

In an interview with MSNBC’s Chris Hayes, Buttigieg laughed off the president’s prediction that the GOP will soon become the “party of healthcare.”

“I’m mystified that the president thinks this will help them become the party of health care,” the mayor said. “I don’t know how you can become the party of health care when you’re now making it abundantly clear that your position on health care is to take it away from millions of Americans.”

Buttigieg said:

As a matter of policy, I’m not surprised because this seems to be the position they hold deep down. Just take this health care coverage away from millions of Americans. As a matter of political strategy, I’m a little bit surprised because most Americans want this and so at this moment when they were going to take a victory lap around what was happening in Washington, suddenly they’re reminding us why so many of us are Democrats. One thing I’ve been thinking about is the amazing shift between 2010, when I was a young nominee for state treasurer and watching as a Democrat on the ticket how we were getting absolutely beat up. I mean health care and the ACA was a toxic issue for the Democrats. And then by 2018, it was the winning issue for Democrats. What happened in those years? Well, it’s very simple. The bill was actually implemented and people liked it. Back in 2010, they were talking about all these theoretical things that might be like death panels. By 2018, in the town halls that happened then, you had regular Americans getting in the faces of members of Congress saying this is what this bill has done to make my life better. And it turns out it’s just harder to lie to somebody about their everyday life. So the idea that they would want to do this is a little strange to me politically. But again, this is their policy. They call themselves — I’m mystified that the president thinks this will help them become the party of health care. I don’t know how you can become the party of health care when you’re now making it abundantly clear that your position on health care is to take it away from millions of Americans.

more...

https://www.politicususa.com/2019/03/26/buttigieg-crushes-trump-claim-gop-health-care.html
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

17 replies, 2767 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pete Buttigieg Crushes Trump's Laughable Claim That The GOP Is The Party Of Health Care (Original post)
babylonsister Mar 2019 OP
True Dough Mar 2019 #1
patricia92243 Mar 2019 #3
democrank Mar 2019 #2
FM123 Mar 2019 #4
duforsure Mar 2019 #5
greymattermom Mar 2019 #6
liberalnarb Mar 2019 #7
Chipper Chat Mar 2019 #16
Laura PourMeADrink Mar 2019 #8
aeromanKC Mar 2019 #9
JDC Mar 2019 #10
Moostache Mar 2019 #11
Gamecock Lefty Mar 2019 #12
Perseus Mar 2019 #13
keithbvadu2 Mar 2019 #14
babylonsister Mar 2019 #15
Tipperary Mar 2019 #17

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 07:03 AM

1. "It turns out it's harder to lie to somebody about their everyday life."

But that sure as hell doesn't stop Trump from trying (and succeeding far too often with some sheep).

K&R!
Undecided

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to True Dough (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 07:22 AM

3. Sums it up in one sentence. That;s our guy!

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 07:10 AM

2. Pete Buttigieg's way of explaining things makes national issues easily understood.

Imagine a setting where Trump’s full-of-lies word salads compete with Buttigieg’s eloquence.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 07:30 AM

4. Calling the gop the party of healthcare is like calling the gop the party of compassion & decency

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 07:33 AM

5. I like this Mayor Pete,

But he shouldn't be mystified at this at all after trump has been doing the opposite of his claims all along . He's done the same with many other issues also, so this isn't a surprise at all , and doing this now to avert attention away from Barr statement and his claim he did nothing wrong is just more of his same patterns to deflect attention on something he doesn't want, to something else has been a regular tactic he's using. Anyone in the gop have to be pulling their hair out now after trump said they would do this to all of us now. trump's a serial liar and a crook , so this will only get worse for everyone.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to duforsure (Reply #5)

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 07:37 AM

6. He isn't mystified at all.

He's just explaining it in his way, and maybe he'll reach a slightly different audience.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 07:57 AM

7. Buttigieg deserves a lot more attention.

I've been impressed by all I've seen of him.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to liberalnarb (Reply #7)

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 10:38 AM

16. Amen

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 08:16 AM

8. Thank you for mentioning trump. This strategy of

acting like he doesn't exist is so naive.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 08:48 AM

9. Move over President Clinton

You've just been replaced as the Secretary of Splainin Stuff.

(and BTW: Congrats to Buttigieg for making it to 6% and the front page of Candidates on the DU Primaries page)
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:25 AM

10. Liking this guy more by the day

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:34 AM

11. I'm so impressed with Pete...

There will of course be bad days in the future for him and his campaign, but to date, every appearance and interview I have seen has been nothing short of spot on. He may get into the details more than some people are used to in our short attention span society, but he also is gifted at boiling issues down to understandable and relatable summaries.

This man's future is amazingly bright, and it really may be time to get the brightest futures into office NOW to combat the existential issues that are piling up on climate, debt, income and wealth distribution, international alliances, hate group propaganda and so much more. The moment is HUGE, we need a vibrant candidate AND a deep bench of administration allies and congress to effectively mount a defense.

At no time in my life have I felt more desperate to have the right person in the White House, and the ass feret there now is the antithesis of the right person.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:40 AM

12. Man, I'm liking Mayor Pete more and more!

I love ALL our candidates so far in 2020!!!
Undecided

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 09:55 AM

13. He may be young, but he is brilliant

A fantastic ticket would be Buttigieg and Ocasio-Cortez, but because voters go more with perception than with brains, that would be a tough ticket to sell.

These are two very intelligent people who have shown they want to better the country, that they want to work for the people, unfortunately, most USA voters are too ignorant and too lazy to understand what is good for them, they like the Jerry Springer loud TV type, and that is in part why the orange buffoon still has a 33% approval.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 10:03 AM

14. almost finished with a plan to replace ObamaCare and vowed to have "insurance for everybody."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/16/trump-reportedly-insists-healthcare-replacement-will-have-insurance-for-everybody.html

January 16, 2017 Fox News

President-elect Donald Trump revealed in an interview with The Washington Post that he’s almost finished with a plan to replace ObamaCare and vowed to have “insurance for everybody."

---

The president-elect insisted that his plan for replacing the Affordable Healthcare Act is all but finished, and added that care would have “lower numbers, much lower deductibles.” He went as far to say that he’s ready to reveal it alongside Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Paul Ryan.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to keithbvadu2 (Reply #14)

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 10:04 AM

15. He's so full of shit. nt

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 27, 2019, 03:37 PM

17. Recommended.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread