Officials wrote a memo outlining ways to challenge President Trumps suit against the Internal Revenue Service. The administration is instead creating a compensation fund.
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/05/19/admin/irs-trump-lawsuit-deal.html?unlocked_article_code=1.j1A.GcX9.msj_9riGDlWg&smid=nytcore-ios-share
Lawyers at the Internal Revenue Service sought to contest President Trumps lawsuit against the agency, recommending several potential defenses in a case that the Justice Department nevertheless decided to resolve by creating an extraordinary $1.8 billion fund that could soon be used to pay Mr. Trumps political allies.
I.R.S. officials prepared a 25-page memorandum outlining what they saw as flaws in Mr. Trumps suit and advising the Justice Department to move to dismiss it, according to two people familiar with the memo. That memo was provided to Treasury officials in April, and it is unclear if they passed it along to its intended recipients at the Justice Department, according to the people, who spoke anonymously to discuss internal government deliberations.
No lawyers from the Justice Department ever appeared in court to respond to the suit or disputed any of Mr. Trumps claims, which demanded at least $10 billion from the I.R.S. for not doing enough to prevent the leak of his tax information. The Justice Department instead made a highly unusual deal in the case. In exchange for Mr. Trumps dropping the suit, the Trump administration created the $1.776 billion anti-weaponization fund for people who say they were wrongly targeted by the federal government.
The existence of the internal memo, which has not been previously reported, shows that the Trump administration disregarded readily available defenses to a lawsuit filed by the president against an agency he controls. While the Justice Department has said that Mr. Trump will not receive money from the new fund, critics have slammed the arrangement as a corrupt attempt at paying Mr. Trumps political supporters, including, potentially, those who were convicted and later pardoned for storming the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.....
The I.R.S. memo was prepared by career civil servants in the agencys office of chief counsel, who followed the agencys normal procedures for responding to a lawsuit, the people said. While the Justice Department represents the I.R.S. in federal court, lawyers at the agency routinely provide their views on tax law....
While I.R.S. lawyers followed the typical process for responding to a lawsuit, officials at the Justice Department did not. Lawyers at the Justice Department struggled with whether they could oppose a lawsuit filed by Mr. Trump, The Times previously reported, given that he leads the executive branch and signed an order binding government lawyers to his view of the law.
When the Justice Department neared the mid-April deadline for responding to Mr. Trumps suit in court, Mr. Trumps personal lawyers, rather than the government, asked the judge to extend the deadline. Lawyers for Mr. Trump, in that filing, said they were in talks with unnamed officials at the Justice Department.
Limitations had run. This was a totally bogus lawsuit