Welcome to DU!
The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards.
Join the community:
Create a free account
Support DU (and get rid of ads!):
Become a Star Member
Latest Breaking News
Editorials & Other Articles
General Discussion
The DU Lounge
All Forums
Issue Forums
Culture Forums
Alliance Forums
Region Forums
Support Forums
Help & Search
General Discussion
Showing Original Post only (View all)Pentagon put significant restrictions on D.C. Guard ahead of pro-Trump protests [View all]
This is how it got screwed up. The question is why?
The Pentagon placed significant restrictions on the D.C. Guard ahead of pro-Trump protests this week, putting the Districts military force in a back-seat role ahead of events that resulted in an insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.
In memos issued on Jan. 4 and 5, the Pentagon prohibited the Districts guardsmen from receiving ammunition or riot gear, interacting with protesters unless necessary for self-defense, sharing equipment with local law enforcement or using Guard surveillance and air assets without the defense secretarys explicit sign-off, according to officials familiar with the orders.
The D.C. Guard was also told it would be allowed to deploy a Quick Reaction Force only as a measure of last resort, the officials said.
The need for higher-level approval appeared to have slowed the military response when the Capitol Police, the law enforcement force that reports to Congress and protects the House and the Senate, requested backup from 200 troops during a call with top Pentagon officials early Wednesday afternoon, according to officials familiar with the call.
The Capitol Police hadnt asked for Guard backup in anticipation of the protests, which President Trump supported to stop congressional certification of President-elect Joe Bidens victory. Guard units arrived roughly 2.5 hours after the chief of the Capitol Police made the emergency request, even though a Quick Reaction Force had been put on standby outside the city limits, one of the officials said, who all spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive deliberations.
In memos issued on Jan. 4 and 5, the Pentagon prohibited the Districts guardsmen from receiving ammunition or riot gear, interacting with protesters unless necessary for self-defense, sharing equipment with local law enforcement or using Guard surveillance and air assets without the defense secretarys explicit sign-off, according to officials familiar with the orders.
The D.C. Guard was also told it would be allowed to deploy a Quick Reaction Force only as a measure of last resort, the officials said.
The need for higher-level approval appeared to have slowed the military response when the Capitol Police, the law enforcement force that reports to Congress and protects the House and the Senate, requested backup from 200 troops during a call with top Pentagon officials early Wednesday afternoon, according to officials familiar with the call.
The Capitol Police hadnt asked for Guard backup in anticipation of the protests, which President Trump supported to stop congressional certification of President-elect Joe Bidens victory. Guard units arrived roughly 2.5 hours after the chief of the Capitol Police made the emergency request, even though a Quick Reaction Force had been put on standby outside the city limits, one of the officials said, who all spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive deliberations.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trump-protests-washington-guard-military/2021/01/07/c5299b56-510e-11eb-b2e8-3339e73d9da2_story.html
24 replies
= new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight:
NoneDon't highlight anything
5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Pentagon put significant restrictions on D.C. Guard ahead of pro-Trump protests [View all]
BainsBane
Jan 2021
OP
The real decision makers will be exposed at to why they left the Capitol Police and under-staffed
OAITW r.2.0
Jan 2021
#3
If true, this too should be investigated by Congress. Yes, the one WE own now/soon.
Ferrets are Cool
Jan 2021
#4
It's part of why Esper was fired Nov 9, 2020. He already had defied tRump in June. . . . nt
Bernardo de La Paz
Jan 2021
#9
Woe be unto any active-duty member of the armed forces involved...insurrection...UCMJ...
pecosbob
Jan 2021
#15