Black descendants of Bruce's Beach owner could get Manhattan Beach land back under proposed state la [View all]
KTLA
Los Angeles County plans to return prime beachfront property to descendants of a Black couple who built a seaside resort for African Americans but suffered racist harassment and were stripped of it by local city leaders a century ago, a county official said Friday.
The property encompasses two parcels purchased in 1912 by Willa and Charles Bruce, who built the first West Coast resort for Black people at a time when segregation barred them from many beaches. They built a lodge, café, dance hall and dressing tents with bathing suits for rent. Initially it was known as Bruces Lodge.
The Bruces had their California dream stolen from them, Hahn said. And this was an injustice inflicted not just upon Willa and Charles Bruce but generations of their descendants who almost certainly would have been millionaires if they had been able to keep this property and their successful business.
State Sen. Steven Bradford said that on Monday he will introduce legislation, SB 796, that would exempt the land from those restrictions.
After so many years we will right this injustice, he said.
If the law passes, the transfer to the descendants would have to be approved by the countys five-member Board of Supervisors, said Liz Odendahl, Hahns director of communications.