Trump administration won't allow oil drilling off Florida coast [View all]
Source: Associated Press
Trump administration won't allow oil drilling off Florida coast
Associated Press
Wed 10 Jan 18 00.50 GMT
The Trump administration said Tuesday that it would not allow oil drilling off the coast of Florida, abruptly reversing course under pressure from the states Republican governor, Rick Scott.
Interior secretary Ryan Zinke said after a brief meeting with Scott that drilling would be off the table when it comes to waters in the eastern Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean off Florida.
Zinke announced plans last week to greatly expand offshore oil drilling from the Atlantic to the Arctic and Pacific oceans, including several possible drilling operations off Florida, where drilling is now blocked. The plan was immediately met with bipartisan opposition on both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts.
Scott, who is expected to run for Senate later this year, came out against the Trump administration plan when it was first announced, saying his top priority was to ensure that Floridas natural resources are protected.
-snip-
Read more:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/09/trump-administration-oil-drilling-florida-rick-scott