Latin America
In reply to the discussion: US Charges 28 Sinaloa Cartel Members, Including 'El Chapo's' Sons, With Fentanyl Charges [View all]Judi Lynn
(164,164 posts)we'd never hear the end of it! Of course, how likely would that have been, after all???
Found the statement from today:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, April 14, 2023
Justice Department Announces Charges Against Sinaloa Cartels Global Operation
Chapitos Charged in Departments Latest Actions to Disrupt Flow of Illegal Fentanyl and Other Dangerous Drugs
The fentanyl crisis in America fueled in large part by the Sinaloa cartel threatens our public health, our public safety, and our national security, said Deputy Attorney General Lisa O. Monaco. Todays indictments target every element of the Sinaloa Cartel's trafficking network and reflect the Justice Department's commitment to attacking every aspect of this threat: from the chemical companies in China that spawn fentanyl precursors, to the illicit labs that produce the poison, to the networks and money launderers and murderers that facilitate its distribution. Just as we have gone on offense against terrorists and cyber criminals around the globe, the Department is now waging a relentless campaign to disrupt the production and trafficking of fentanyl before it can reach its victims.
Todays indictments send a clear message to the Chapitos, the Sinaloa Cartel, and criminal drug networks around the world that the DEA will stop at nothing to protect the national security of the United States and the safety and health of the American people, said DEA Administrator Anne Milgram. The Chapitos pioneered the manufacture and trafficking of fentanyl the deadliest drug threat our country has ever faced flooded it into the United States for the past eight years and killed hundreds of thousands of Americans. Over the last year and a half, the DEA proactively infiltrated the Sinaloa Cartel and the Chapitos network, obtained unprecedented access to the organizations highest levels, and followed them across the world. I am grateful to the men and women of the DEA for their exceptional work on this case, which is the beginning of our work as One DEA to dismantle every part of the criminal cartels that are killing Americans at record rates.
Far too many Americans have become victims in the national fentanyl crisis. These cartels have shown us they will stop at nothing to manufacture, traffic, and push these dangerous drugs to every corner of our country, said FBI Director Christopher Wray. Todays indictments show that the FBI and our law enforcement partners will never tire in our pursuit not only to shut down their criminal enterprises, but also to go after individuals in their network. I want to thank the FBI team continuing to work on these cases everyday as we join with our law enforcement partners to tackle this national epidemic.
This indictment is another example of how this administration is taking on the cartels and their transnational criminal networks, and sending a clear message that we are going to hold them accountable, said Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas. I commend our workforce at Homeland Security Investigations and our federal partners who are relentless in their efforts to stop the scourge of fentanyl. Todays announcement exemplifies a whole-of-government approach to protecting our homeland that is yielding results.
The Sinaloa Cartel is one of the most powerful drug cartels in the world and is largely responsible for the manufacturing and importing of fentanyl for distribution in the United States. Fentanyl is a dangerous synthetic opioid that is more than 50 times more potent than heroin. Fentanyl is now the leading cause of death for Americans ages 18 to 49, and it has fueled the opioid epidemic that has been ravaging families and communities across the United States for approximately the past eight years. Between 2019 and 2021, fatal overdoses increased by approximately 94%, with an estimated 196 Americans dying each day from fentanyl.
More:
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-announces-charges-against-sinaloa-cartel-s-global-operation