Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

MADem

(135,425 posts)
1. I'd be scared shitless if I were that guy!
Sat Aug 4, 2012, 09:47 AM
Aug 2012

Not only is the damn aircraft a flying coffin, we don't have a good record when it comes to safe transport of Japanese defense officials.

Just a scant fourteen years ago....

http://articles.cnn.com/1998-09-21/us/9809_21_pentagon.accident_1_defense-minister-accident-kenneth-bacon?_s=PM:US


Japanese defense minister injured in Pentagon accident


September 21, 1998

Five others in the car three Americans and two Japanese were also slightly injured and taken to a nearby hospital after the 1015 a.m. EDT accident. They were all treated and released, officials said.

U.S. Defense Secretary William Cohen, who had been awaiting Nukagas arrival at the Pentagons river entrance, accompanied the defense minister to the hospital.

An hour after the accident, the black Cadillac stretch limousine still could be seen stuck atop the raised metal barrier, blocking one of several approaches to the river entrance.

John Jester, chief of the Defense Protective Service, said the security barrier unexpectedly popped up after the first few cars in Nukagas motorcade made it through the gate, lifting the front end of Nukagas limousine off the ground and bending the cars frame.

Recommendations

0 members have recommended this reply (displayed in chronological order):

Latest Discussions»Issue Forums»National Security & Defense»Japanese minister tries o...»Reply #1