Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Featured Stories

Related: Latest Breaking News, Latest Discussions

Here are today's featured stories, posted by DU members and curated by the Administrators. More news items can be found in our Latest Breaking News forum, and for all the most up-to-the-minute stories that are being talked about by DU members, visit the Latest Discussions page.

September 8, 2025

BumRushDaShow

Loud Boos at Trump Hit Airwaves Despite U.S. Open's Request

(Daily Beast) The U.S. Open lost its bid to spare viewers at home from the crowd’s icy reception to President Donald Trump on Sunday. Loud boos directed at Trump were still heard in Disney-owned ESPN and ABC’s coverage of the men’s singles final between Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner, despite an earlier request from the United States Tennis Association not to air any negative reactions to the president’s attendance.

Go to discussion
BumRushDaShow

Duckworth says DHS fled Navy base near Chicago during visit from Democrats

(The Hill) Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) on Sunday said the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) fled a Navy base near Chicago during a visit from Democrats. Trump border czar Tom Homan confirmed late last month that the Trump administration was discussing using Naval Station Great Lakes, which is near Chicago, to back up immigration detention efforts. Duckworth said she, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Rep. Brad Schneider (D-Ill.) had asked DHS about what they were doing at the Naval Station Great Lakes. Initially, DHS told the lawmakers they could not visit the base, Duckworth said.

Go to discussion
Dulcinea

GOP leaders won't help Massie's bid for reelection as Trump plots his ouster

(CNN) President Donald Trump and his top political advisers are plotting an aggressive push to oust one of his most persistent Republican adversaries: Rep. Thomas Massie. And House GOP leaders won’t stand in Trump’s way. Speaker Mike Johnson and his leadership team are sending their clearest signals to date that their conservative colleague will have to fend for himself as Trump’s allies prepare to dump millions into Massie’s district to purge him from the Northeastern Kentucky district he’s represented for nearly 13 years.

Go to discussion
BumRushDaShow

US treasury secretary denies Trump tariffs are tax on Americans

(The Guardian) US treasury secretary Scott Bessent has refused to acknowledge that the sweeping trade tariffs imposed by Donald Trump around the world are taxes on Americans. In a new interview on Sunday with NBC host Kristen Welker, Bessent, a former billionaire hedge fund manager, dismissed concerns from major American companies including John Deere, Nike and Black and Decker who have all said that Trump’s tariffs policy will cost them billions of dollars annually.

Go to discussion
BumRushDaShow

Bessent: US would have to give back half of tariffs if it loses at Supreme Court

(The Hill) Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the United States would have to refund half of the tariffs if has collected if it loses its case on President Trump’s trade agenda at the Supreme Court. Bessent said he feels “confident” the Trump administration will win the fight to rescue President Trump’s tariffs, but acknowledged it will be costly if there is a loss in the conservative-leaning High Court. During an appearance on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Bessent was asked by host Kristen Welker whether the administration was prepared to offer rebates on the tariffs if the Supreme Court ruled against them. “I am confident that we will win at the Supreme Court,” he said.

Go to discussion
demmiblue

'I'm Gonna Punch You in Your F---ing Face': Scott Bessent Threatens an Administration Rival

(Politico) A private dinner attended by dozens of administration officials and close advisers to President Donald Trump was temporarily marred by a dramatic clash between two of Trump’s top economic officials, with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent at one point threatening to punch top housing finance official Bill Pulte “in the fucking face.”

Go to discussion
malaise

Let this sink in - A Sitting Senator Just Went Full Mask-Off White Nationalist

(Slate) What is an American?” This was the question Schmitt posed at the fifth annual National Conservatism Conference in Washington. His answer is that the nation is fundamentally not based on the idea of equality or freedom or any other ideal. Nor is it accessible to people of all races and religions. It is fundamentally, he told an assembled crowd, a white homeland.

Go to discussion
BumRushDaShow

Trump walks back Chicago 'war' threat, but vows to 'clean up' cities

(NPR) President Trump says he doesn't intend to "go to war" with American cities but is vowing to "clean them up" in his latest comments on an apparent plan to send National Guard troops to U.S. metropolitan areas to help fight crime or assist with deportations of suspected undocumented immigrants. Trump was asked Sunday whether he was threatening war with Chicago following a post on his website Truth Social one day earlier. "We're not going to war. We're going to clean up our cities," Trump told reporters on Sunday as he left the White House. "We're going to clean them up so they don't kill five people every weekend. That's not war, that's common sense."

Go to discussion
IronLionZion

After a robbery, a D.C. store sought help. The White House sent a film crew.

(Washington Post) The White House told Alston that the administration was concerned about what had happened at her store, she later recalled, and that it wanted to know more. She agreed to a visit. Maybe that would get her some extra security, she thought, or direct all those cops to someplace they might do some good. But when the White House team arrived, she said, all they had were cameras.

Go to discussion
BumRushDaShow

U.S. To Target More Businesses After Hyundai Raid, Top Official Says

(Reuters) President Donald Trump’s administration plans to target more businesses for immigration enforcement after a raid on a Hyundai facility in Georgia led to hundreds of arrests, a top White House official said on Sunday. Speaking on CNN’s ‘State of the Union,’ White House border czar Tom Homan said the administration would intensify the focus on workplaces.

Go to discussion
Latest Discussions»Featured Stories