By Christopher Harress
International Business Times
April 08 2014 6:00 AM
After decades of experiments, U.S. Navy scientists believe they may have solved one of the worlds great challenges: how to turn seawater into fuel. The development of a liquid hydrocarbon fuel could one day relieve the militarys dependence on oil-based fuels and is being heralded as a game changer because it could allow military ships to develop their own fuel and stay operational 100 percent of the time, rather than having to refuel at sea.
The new fuel is initially expected to cost around $3 to $6 per gallon, according to the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, which has already flown a model aircraft on it.
The Navys 289 vessels all rely on oil-based fuel, with the exception of some aircraft carriers and 72 submarines that rely on nuclear propulsion. Moving away from that reliance would free the military from fuel shortages and fluctuations in price.
"It's a huge milestone for us," said Vice Adm. Philip Cullom. "We are in very challenging times where we really do have to think in pretty innovative ways to look at how we create energy, how we value energy and how we consume it. We need to challenge the results of the assumptions that are the result of the last six decades of constant access to cheap, unlimited amounts of fuel."
- Well it would seem that we've been saved by the Navy. We can now bring all the troops home. We can close all the foreign bases. And we can begin shutting down the oil industry.
Thank you Navy.
- Currently this Youtube video has 134 positive votes and 166 negative votes. Which pretty much explains the state of the world.
Cop Block * Published on May 12, 2013
SUPPORT COP BLOCK
with BITCOIN: 1Hy8xL2ey3GwFLTEd3NTS76A3bWMnQ2dRP
with FRNs: http://wepay.com/donate/copblock
In February of 2012 a write-up to http://CopBlock.org titled, "Frustrated, Detroit Residents Compete with Police" included a picture of Dale Brown, founder of the Threat Management Center.
In early 2013 when Pete Eyre visited Detroit as part of the http://copblock.org/tour he reached-out to Brown, who graciously welcomed Eyre at his facility.
RELATED POST (will be live on 2013.05.13):
- This is what a policeman looks like.
Posted on: Thursday, December 25th 2014 at 9:30 am
Written By: Sayer Ji, Founder
[font size=1]New evidence reveals that despite a ban on cultivation of GM rapeseed in Europe, Monsanto and Bayer's plants are now freely growing there.[/font]
A new study published in PLoS titled ,"Unexpected Diversity of Feral Genetically Modified Oilseed Rape (Brassica napus L.) Despite a Cultivation and Import Ban in Switzerland", is believed to be the first report of its kind showing that despite a cultivation and seed import ban of genetically modified (GM) oilseed rape in Switzerland, Monsanto and Bayer's GM plants have been introduced into the environment there, confirming fears that once the GM genie has been let out of the bottle it can not be put back.
What is even more remarkable about the discovery of feral GM plants in Europe is that they have been banned from cultivation:
- In the European Union, GM OSR cultivation is presently prohibited and authorization for the import for food and feed processing is confined to the GM OSR events GT73 (Roundup Ready, Monsanto), MS8, RF3, MS8xRF3 and T45 (all traded as InVigor, Bayer CropScience). GM crop plants have found even less acceptance in Switzerland where currently neither the import nor the cultivation of GM OSR is allowed at least until the end of 2017. Nevertheless, the spread of GM OSR cannot totally be prevented by cultivation or import bans. In Japan, where GM OSR is imported but not cultivated, feral glyphosate- and glufosinate-resistant GM OSR plants have repeatedly been detected in port areas and along transportation routes. The feral GM plants found most likely originated from imported transgenic seeds that were spilled during transport to oilseed processing facilities. Two countrywide studies from Switzerland have reported the occurrence of glyphosate-resistant GT73 OSR from four sites in 2011 and 2012. The case of Switzerland is remarkable, because GM OSR has neither been cultivated nor imported into the country.
[font color=darkblue]If Switzerland has banned both the cultivation and importation of GM rapeseed plants into the country, how did they end up there?[/font]
The authors of the study propose the feral GT73 OSR probably originated from spillage of conventional OSR seeds or other seed imports that were contaminated with GM seeds.
[font color=darkblue]This raises a larger question: how much of the worlds food supply is now contaminated with GM plant material?[/font]
- Welp, this is where we're headed folks.... to the place where the only food that's available and/or affordable -- will end up killing you. But you won't starve. And as we die-off, Monsanto will suddenly discover that it has put itself out of business. Because corpses need neither seeds nor pesticides.
As Jacques Fresco said: ''The system is headed for collapse. And it doesn't require a revolution. It doesn't require that we do anything except leave it alone. It will destroy itself.''
Source: Amnesty International
24, December 2014
[font size=1 color=gray]Humanitarian convoy blocked on a checkpoint near Donetsk on 18 December. © Rinat
Pro-Kyiv volunteer battalions are increasingly blocking humanitarian aid into eastern Ukraine in a move which will exacerbate a pending humanitarian crisis in the run up to Christmas and New Year, said Amnesty International.
As winter sets in, the already desperate situation in eastern Ukraine is being made even worse by the volunteer battalions preventing food aid and medicine from reaching those in need. It is no secret that the region is facing a humanitarian disaster with many already at risk of starvation, said Denis Krivosheev, acting Director of Europe and Central Asia for Amnesty International.
These battalions often act like renegade gangs and urgently need to be brought under control. Denying food to people caught up in a conflict is against international law and the perpetrators must be held to account.
Amnesty International has received information that the pro-Kyiv battalions, which include Dnipro-1 and Aidar, have blocked aid entering territories controlled by the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Luhansk Peoples Republics (DNR and LNR).
Read more: http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/eastern-ukraine-humanitarian-disaster-looms-food-aid-blocked-2014-12-23
- Our new allies learn from us so quickly. Stick to 'em when they're down.......
- We take it as a given and not at all ironic that America's best funnyman is also the voice of reason. One we can trust and that we turn to in times of this nation's regular perils and wars. We have to couch the TRUTH in this Jester's Way because we fear what might happen if they thought we were seriously pissed.
- Here we go.
- The Emir of Qatar wants to know if the state comes with slaves or does he have to provide his own, as usual....
- Every businessperson should know, Death always gets comped......
- Hunting irony kills.....
Profile InformationMember since: Wed Jul 5, 2006, 11:17 PM
Number of posts: 27,137
- 2015 (122)
- 2014 (319)
- 2013 (358)
- 2012 (260)
- 2011 (19)
- December (19)