Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Make7

(8,550 posts)
1. It seems impossible that Hazelwood wouldn't have known.
Mon May 10, 2021, 02:25 AM
May 2021
Hazelwood maintained during his testimony to the U.N. — and also in his email to VICE World News — that throughout the massacre, he was some 100 miles away training soldiers for the American-trained and American-armed Atlacatl Battalion, which carried out the slaughter. He also asserted that he “initiated every military program in El Salvador and was a key planner in formulating the national military strategy,” according to the two-page summary of his testimony, which VICE World News reviewed.

State terrorism was the national military strategy — better known as death squads. That was the policy throughout most of Central and South America.

The National Security Archive has a large archive of documents pertaining to El Salvador. Unfortunately, most of the documents are not available online (that I can find), just references to them. I was hoping to find State Department cables from that time.

Since the massacre was reported in the New York Times six weeks after it happened, there is zero chance that U.S. military did not know what had happened — the troops that murdered those innocent civilians had training at the School Of The Americas.

MASSACRE OF HUNDREDS REPORTED IN SALVADOR VILLAGE

Jan. 27, 1982

From interviews with people who live in this small mountain village and surrounding hamlets, it is clear that a massacre of major proportions occurred here last month.

In some 20 mud brick huts here, this reporter saw the charred skulls and bones of dozens of bodies buried under burned-out roofs, beams and shattered tiles. There were more along the trail leading through the hills into the village, and at the edge of a nearby cornfield were the remains of 14 young men, women and children.

In separate interviews during a two-week period in the rebelcontrolled northern part of Morazan Province, 13 peasants said that all these, their relatives and friends, had been killed by Government soldiers of the Atlacatl Battalion in a sweep in December. 733 Victims Listed

The villagers have compiled a list of the names, ages and villages of 733 peasants, mostly children, women and old people, who they say were murdered by the Government soldiers. The Human Rights Commission of El Salvador, which works with the Roman Catholic Church, puts the number at 926.
A spokesman for the Salvadoran armed forces, Col. Alfonso Cotto, called the reports about ''hundreds of civilians'' being killed by Government soldiers ''totally false.'' Those reports were fabricated by ''subversives,'' he said.

...

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/27/world/massacre-of-hundreds-reported-in-salvador-village.html

Recommendations

0 members have recommended this reply (displayed in chronological order):

Latest Discussions»Region Forums»Latin America»1,000 People Were Execute...»Reply #1